I started this blog to help you (new parents who just found out you are going to or already have a baby with MDS) to show that it’s going to be OK. I wanted you to be able to google MDS and see good news!
Thea is now 5 years old. She is in Kindergarten this year and is doing really well. She is meeting all expectations in class. She can read and write. She is a great artist and loves to draw and colour.
There are things that she struggles with, but what child doesn’t? Here’s the thing I have come to realize, no matter what, your child will have strengths and weaknesses. It doesn’t matter whether they have MDS or not. I want to be honest with you about what Thea struggles with so that you can watch out for these things as your child grows. That way, you may be able to catch some of these things early and get them help right away. Some of these weaknesses may have a common denominator (MDS) or they may not.
- Can read and write
- Great artist
- Has a really good memory (can memorize an entire book and recite it, and this started when she just turned 3)
- Loves to lead others (especially her siblings)
- Thea was a little bit slower to learn to jump and ride her bike. I think it may have to do with the fact that she might not have as much muscle tone as a child without MDS. However, she is now jumping and riding her bike just fine.
- She becomes frustrated quite easily. If she can’t do something right away, she will get upset and cry. However, this has improved a lot over the past 6 months. This may or may not have to do with MDS.
- She struggles with her speech. It doesn’t have to do with the pronunciation of words, but has to do with recalling what word to use. She struggles to find the right words to use and put them together in a sentence. Again, she has made huge strides in just the last year. She goes to speech therapy once a week which has really helped.
People who don’t know that Thea has MDS would have no idea that she struggled with anything. Her struggles are not noticeable to most.
As your baby grows, you will notice their strengths and weaknesses, and you will encourage their strengths and help them with their weaknesses. Nobody knows why your baby had to be the one to have MDS, but they are a blessing and were born with a purpose. Just know that your baby has a purpose and God will help to reveal that purpose to you and them if you follow and seek him 🙂
I will post a video in the next few days to give you an idea of how Thea talks, etc. I know that would have been helpful for me when I found out I was having a baby with MDS.