Today was one of those days that felt crushing. The heaviness of financial burden and health concerns for family members consumed me. One of those days where any little thing, like someone saying hello to you in a comforting voice, would bring embarrassing tears.Continue reading “What to do on those BAD days!”
“If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.” Matthew 16:25 (NLT)
“Will you reverse your vasectomy so we can have another baby?” I sobbed.
“No way! Are you crazy? We already have three and aren’t going for a fourth. We decided I would get a vasectomy for a reason.”
Me: “No way God, I can’t do that”.
God: “Yes, you can Andrea. Use the money you have been setting aside for tithing and buy as many of Roy’s books as you can to hand out at his Celebration of Life.”
Me: “But I can’t. It will be awkward. Roy’s son is my ex-boyfriend. The last time we saw each other, it didn’t end well. I haven’t seen him in over 15 years and who knows if he even wants me there.”
God: “Andrea, this is important.”
Me: “But I don’t even know where to start.”
God: “Text Bill Sr. and ask him how to get in contact with Roy’s wife.”
Me: “Ok I will try, but I don’t even know if this is you talking to me or if this is some sort of crazy idea that just popped into my head. I really hope it’s not the latter.”Continue reading “Extraordinary Lies Outside Your Comfort Zone”
Lately, I’ve been feeling stuck. Like I just don’t know what my next move should be. Where am I going with my writing and why am I even doing it. It’s not easy to talk about some of the stuff I have talked about and it makes me feel vulnerable which is the exact opposite of how I want to feel.Continue reading “God is Alive and he is Good, Let’s Speak Up and Talk About it”
Lying down on my carpet, I stared blankly at a picture of a bike on my wall, willing my kids to go to bed. I had resorted to guarding my kid’s bedroom doors to ensure they didn’t come out.
All the help that was doing though because I could still hear them fooling around. And that’s when I started to think, if I was as persistent as my kids have been in NOT going to bed, I would have accomplished a heck of a lot by now.Continue reading “How can Kids be soooooo Persistent and What Can We Learn From it?”
I watched my daughter Thea, who has Mosaic Down Syndrome, work hard to learn how to read. Everyday she picked up a book and practiced. I would always find her off in a corner reading by herself or to her younger siblings. And everyday I saw an improvement.
Over less than a year, Thea went from not being able to read at all to reading at the end of a grade 1 level (she just graduated kindergarten). Seeing her determination and drive reminded me of how important it is to not give up.
But we all have moments where we feel like giving up, Thea was no exception. It’s hard to keep going when everything you try doesn’t seem to work and rejection feels constant.
But don’t do it! Don’t give up! And here’s why…
- There’s a reason why you started it: Think back to when you made that decision to start. What happened? What made you think you were meant to do it? Did an opportunity open up? Did you pray about it and felt God calling you to do it? Did you read the bible and a verse stuck out at you? Something was there and that’s why you started. That reason was a good one, don’t loose sight of it.
- The reward is on the other side of your hardship: Hardship, trials and rejection are going to happen. And if that’s where you are today, know that every successful person has gone through it. And if you can get past the hardship, you will reap the most satisfying reward. Keep at it; plant the idea in your head that there is no other option. Take a breath and pray about it. Then only focus on your next best move. What action can you take today that will move you towards your end goal. Don’t look at the whole picture and get swallowed up by anxiety. You don’t have to figure it all out. God’s got that already done for you. Focus on your next best move and do it.
- You may not get another chance: Timing is everything and if God is calling you to do it now, you may not get another chance. So take it. God’s the most powerful ally you could ever have. So don’t doubt him or question the goal. Just do it.
- You will always wonder what if: Ask yourself this, if I give-up and stop today, will I wonder in a few years or ten years from now, what if? If so, then it’s not time to give-up. Keep going. You can do this!
- Discipline is the key to change: Change is never easy, so without discipline it will never happen. You may think I suck at disciplining myself. I tried once before and failed. Well, think of it this way. Everyday you have a routine, you get-up, get dressed, get the kids ready, go to work etc. You discipline yourself to do those things because they are important and necessary. So you CAN do discipline, you just need to change your perspective. Decide today that the goal you are trying to achieve is necessary and important. Add it to part of your daily routine. Half the battle is believing you can do it, the other half is taking action.
- It’s worth it: Visualize your end goal. Why are you doing this? What is it that you are trying to achieve? Is it starting your own company? Then picture yourself owning and running that company. Is it loosing weight? Then visualize yourself in the body that you want (but make it a healthy one). Solidify in your mind your “Why”. Then think about that every time you want to give up. If you have a clear picture of why you are doing it, then you will find the drive and determination to keep going. Knowing your “why” will help you to work through any barriers that come your way.